Start a new topic

Tenant Storing in Common Areas

I have a tenant that is storing a lot of stuff in a common area. She has installed storage sheds and there are tarps and all kinds of junk on the lot. The storage is occurring in a common area of the property (the units are on a large lot). Unfortunately this is not covered in the lease. We have told her to move the stuff but it is growing. What can I do?

Have you tried talking to tenant? Check local laws about accumulated rubbish in yard. If there is a violation, send a Notice to correct violation or move . -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance
In the current situation you can ask the tenant strictly to move her items from the yard. But for the future, you can hire a property manager who can handle all these tasks from finding a tenant to update you with all the rules and trends.
Bob, I have talked with her many times and the situation is getting worse. It's not "rubbish" (well, it's rubbish to me but not to her). Picture a 6X8 aluminum shed with doors and a lock filled with stuff. Then picture 2, then 3. Now throw a tarp over it with some sticks for a make-shift patio. Add a few bicycles, and other random items. Last time, she had a 10ft pool erected. I would love to evict but the lease does not say anywhere that you cannot store items in the common areas. I will fix the lease for next time. I was thinking that she is trespassing or something because she does not own or rent the space that she is consuming.
@Sam…you might want to check with the City, Health or Fire Dept to see if they can offer some advice. Start with the City. They usually have rules about sheds, etc. Otherwise, you’ll just have to wait until her Lease is up. Remember, if she has been there as lease 12 months, you will have to give her a 60 Day Notice that you will not be renewing her Lease and she will have to move. No reason for is required. Also, don’t forget to give her a Written Notice with the 60 Days Notice that she’s entitled to have a pre-inspection no earlier than 2 weeks before the Lease terminates. I would send them Certified/Return Receipt unless you can get her to acknowledge that she rec’d both Notices in writing -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance
Login to post a comment