Start a new topic

Defective Washing Machine or Tenant?

We've had this tenant in our house since June, and she has some odd behaviors.  We suspect she might be dabbling with some insurance fraud and things of that nature.  Last night, she sends us a text saying that the washing machine damaged a comforter and some brand new clothes.  Apparently it tore holes in the stuff.   Funny thing is, she washed multiple loads.   We lived in this house for 8 years prior to renting it to her.  We never encounterd such a problem with the maching and never heard of anyone having a washing machine do something like this.  How do I handle this complaint?  Am I responsible for the clothes?  Should I call a repair man to confirm, if the machine is defective?  Should I begin logging all these situations?  Thanks,  

Forget about text messages. Tell her that she has to submit the problem/damage in writing. Information to include when problem started, what’s the problem and how long has it been going on. Also, list all damages to include age, cost and submit pictures of items damaged showing damage……I don’t think she would have a claim, but that’s just an opinion. Hopefully, she will trip up when she mails you the above mention description. There is no need to talk about reimbursement until she mails you the info and you have time to review it. Mums the word. In the future, don’t include washer/dryer or have a clause/addendum stating that tenant is using equipment at their own risk and that tenant is aware the landlord is not responsible for damages to clothing.  If you can, check out the problem yourself to see if anything is visible. You may want to do this after you receive a formal notice that there is a problem in writing. Advise her not to use the machine until you have a chance to review the situation. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Bob R, thanks so much.  Your post was very helpful.  Our lease mentions nothing about the washer/dryer, and in the future, we will certainly include the clause.  I'm going to check it out this weekend.  I suspect I'll find nothing wrong and this issue will go away.  I do think she is making claims towards her renter's insurance, but I think she is going to go to that well one too many times.  I certainly we make an effort to "Pay it Forward."  Thanks again!
Login to post a comment