Start a new topic

water utilities payment on my taxes

has anyone ever heard of a utility company charging the landlords tax roll at the end of the year for a tenants past due bill?  They claim that they are provong a service to the property's address and the owners are responsible for the bill if the tenant does not pay or is late.  The owner does not have any say about the bill until it is on their tax roll and then it is the owners bill to pay and then go after the tenant.  I don't get it.  The electric company and the cable and telephone utilities do not do this.  The bill is in the tenants name until Nov 15th and then they get a free pass on payment.  I think this is just wrong!  I live in the state of Wisconsin and the rental I own is in the village of Cottage Grove.  Please tell me if this is the way it goes and they have a legal right to do this.
1 Comment

Usually they can for garbage due to the potential health problems. This may not be the case for water unless it’s a multi unit without individual meters. Call the City to make sure..... Normally, the City will send you a notice about the delinquent payment. If not, ask them if they could. Also, make it a practice to call the utility company to see if tenant is up to date with their payment. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download with data.
Login to post a comment