Start a new topic

Vermin Problems

My tenants claim that rats chewed the wiring on their new car which was parked in the garage.  They want me to pay for the repairs.  I think that their renter's insurance or perhaps their auto insurance will cover this.  They claim that their deductible is $1000 and the rewiring of the car costs $8000, and as a result they have take the $1000 out of their rent. I don't think this is legal.  Anyone else have a similar situation?
1 Comment

You just gotta love tenants…LOL……Unless they reported a rat problem in writing and you ignored the problem and they can prove that it was done in the garage, I would say that they haven’t got a leg to stand on. Also, the high deductable is their problem (by choice), not yours…… If they’re late with the rent payment, immediately send them a Notice to Pay or Quit. If they don’t pay in 3 days, start eviction. Don’t accept any excuses, which usually are stall tactics. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download with data.
Login to post a comment