Start a new topic
Answered

Tenant not paying lost of month of lease and leaving

Hello 

Tenant gave notice on March 1st 2023 that they will be vacating. Their lease is till April 2023 and they are supposed to pay rent till end of April 2023. However, they are vacating end of March, claiming now that I am harassing without substantiating what did I harass about and not paying rent for last month.

I have their deposit, but I have to perform repairs and cleaning before I can rent it out.

What are my options?

Best Answer

If the tenant gave notice on March 1st that they will be vacating, they are still responsible for paying rent through the end of their lease term, which is the end of April 2023. If they are refusing to pay rent for the last month and claiming harassment, you may want to communicate with them in writing and document your conversations to protect yourself.

Here are some options you can consider:

1. Negotiate: You can try negotiating with the tenant to come to an agreement on the rent owed and the early move-out date. This could involve waiving some rent in exchange for the tenant vacating the property early.

2. Legal action: You may have to take legal action if the tenant refuses to pay rent and vacate the property by the end of April. You can start by sending them a demand letter stating the rent owed and the consequences of not paying. If they still refuse to pay, you can file a lawsuit to recover the unpaid rent and damages.

3. Keep the security deposit: You can use the security deposit to cover any unpaid rent and damages. However, you must provide the tenant with an itemized list of deductions and receipts for repairs and cleaning.

4. Rent the property early: You can try to rent out the property early, but you must ensure that the tenant has vacated the property and you have performed all necessary repairs and cleaning.

*It's important to follow the correct legal procedures to avoid any potential legal issues. You may want to consult with a lawyer or a local housing authority to understand your rights and obligations as a landlord.

*ezLandlordForms is not a law firm and our services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.*

1 Comment

Answer

If the tenant gave notice on March 1st that they will be vacating, they are still responsible for paying rent through the end of their lease term, which is the end of April 2023. If they are refusing to pay rent for the last month and claiming harassment, you may want to communicate with them in writing and document your conversations to protect yourself.

Here are some options you can consider:

1. Negotiate: You can try negotiating with the tenant to come to an agreement on the rent owed and the early move-out date. This could involve waiving some rent in exchange for the tenant vacating the property early.

2. Legal action: You may have to take legal action if the tenant refuses to pay rent and vacate the property by the end of April. You can start by sending them a demand letter stating the rent owed and the consequences of not paying. If they still refuse to pay, you can file a lawsuit to recover the unpaid rent and damages.

3. Keep the security deposit: You can use the security deposit to cover any unpaid rent and damages. However, you must provide the tenant with an itemized list of deductions and receipts for repairs and cleaning.

4. Rent the property early: You can try to rent out the property early, but you must ensure that the tenant has vacated the property and you have performed all necessary repairs and cleaning.

*It's important to follow the correct legal procedures to avoid any potential legal issues. You may want to consult with a lawyer or a local housing authority to understand your rights and obligations as a landlord.

*ezLandlordForms is not a law firm and our services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.*

Login to post a comment