Start a new topic

Unauthorized Tenant Threated - Now unsafe


We received complaints from neighbors that the unit we have leased to a woman, has a man ( unauthorized tenant)  several cars, smoking, loud noise, etc..

We have emailed all volitions of the lease to the tenant, We tried to attempt to visit the property to ask about cars, removing etc and the unauthorized tenant threatened and attempted to attack. We called police, 911, the man fled, police did not come. 

We have sent violation noticed and a 10 day to comply or vacate via email. We do not feel safe visiting the premise to post/hand deliver the notices without Police, considering turning over to property manager just so we are out if the middle.. Any thoughts or recommendations? 

1 Comment

I'm not a legal expert, but I can offer some general suggestions for dealing with this situation. It's important to consult with a lawyer or legal professional who specializes in landlord-tenant issues to ensure you follow the appropriate legal procedures in your jurisdiction.

1. Document everything: Keep a detailed record of all incidents, complaints, and communication with the tenant. This will be important evidence if you need to take further action.

2. Consult with a lawyer: Seek legal advice to understand your rights and obligations as a landlord in your specific jurisdiction. They can guide you on the appropriate steps to take and ensure you comply with local laws.

3. Consider involving the property manager: If you're feeling unsafe visiting the property, you may want to involve the property manager or hire a professional property management company to handle the situation on your behalf. They can communicate with the tenant, address violations, and enforce lease terms.

4. Serve proper notices: Follow the legal requirements for serving notices to the tenant. In some jurisdictions, notices may need to be delivered in person or by certified mail. Your lawyer or property manager can assist you in this process.

5. Gather evidence for legal action: If the tenant fails to comply with the notice or vacate the property within the given time frame, you may need to consider legal action, such as filing for eviction. Make sure you have all necessary evidence to support your case.

6. Engage with local authorities: If the unauthorized tenant poses a safety threat, continue to contact the police when necessary. Provide them with any evidence you have regarding the unauthorized occupant, disturbances, or threats.

Remember, these are general suggestions, and it's crucial to consult with a legal professional who can provide advice based on your specific circumstances and local laws

- This answer was written by AI (ChatGPT) and reviewed by the ezLandlordForms team.

Login to post a comment