Start a new topic
Answered

Unauthorized pet

Hello I have a single family house in KY. I allow pets. Had one dog on the lease. I recently learned they added a puppy months ago. I realize I can evict them . I do have a signed pet addendum in lease. They are playing dumb. I increase the rent $50/pet/month. Am I able to ask for a lump sum based on lost rent? regarding the months other puppy was there? Should I increase security deposit? I have inspected the house, no obvious damage yet, but of course there will be more wear and tear on the house. 

Best Answer

I am not a lawyer, but I can offer some general information that might help you in this situation. To address the issue of the unauthorized puppy in your rental property, you should consider the following steps:

1. Review the Lease Agreement and Pet Addendum: Carefully review the lease agreement and the pet addendum that was signed by the tenant. Ensure that you have all the necessary documentation and understand the terms related to pets, including any pet-related fees and restrictions.

2. Communicate with the Tenant: Reach out to the tenant to discuss the situation and inform them that they are in violation of the lease agreement by having an unauthorized pet. Make sure to document all communication in writing.

3. Pet-Related Fees: If your lease agreement or pet addendum specifies a pet fee or additional rent for pets, you can charge the tenant accordingly for the additional pet. In your case, if you have increased the rent for the authorized dog by $50 per month, you may want to charge a similar fee for the unauthorized puppy.

4. Security Deposit: You can also consider increasing the security deposit, but make sure that this is allowed by your local laws and regulations. Be sure to follow your state's laws on security deposits and provide proper notice to the tenant if you plan to make any changes to the deposit.

5. Document Condition: Continue to document the condition of the property, including any wear and tear that may be related to the additional pet. Take photographs and keep records of any damage or excessive wear and tear caused by the pets.

6. Legal Consultation: If the tenant does not comply with your requests or continues to violate the lease agreement, you may need to consult with an attorney to explore your legal options, including the possibility of eviction.

7. Negotiation: It may also be worth considering negotiating a resolution with the tenant if they are willing to cooperate, such as paying a lump sum for the months the unauthorized puppy was present or agreeing to abide by the terms of the lease moving forward.

Keep in mind that landlord-tenant laws and regulations can vary by state and locality, so it's essential to consult with a legal professional who specializes in real estate law in Kentucky for specific advice tailored to your situation. Eviction should be considered as a last resort and should be done in compliance with all applicable laws and procedures.

- This answer was written by AI (ChatGPT) and reviewed by the ezLandlordForms team.

1 person has this question
1 Comment

Answer

I am not a lawyer, but I can offer some general information that might help you in this situation. To address the issue of the unauthorized puppy in your rental property, you should consider the following steps:

1. Review the Lease Agreement and Pet Addendum: Carefully review the lease agreement and the pet addendum that was signed by the tenant. Ensure that you have all the necessary documentation and understand the terms related to pets, including any pet-related fees and restrictions.

2. Communicate with the Tenant: Reach out to the tenant to discuss the situation and inform them that they are in violation of the lease agreement by having an unauthorized pet. Make sure to document all communication in writing.

3. Pet-Related Fees: If your lease agreement or pet addendum specifies a pet fee or additional rent for pets, you can charge the tenant accordingly for the additional pet. In your case, if you have increased the rent for the authorized dog by $50 per month, you may want to charge a similar fee for the unauthorized puppy.

4. Security Deposit: You can also consider increasing the security deposit, but make sure that this is allowed by your local laws and regulations. Be sure to follow your state's laws on security deposits and provide proper notice to the tenant if you plan to make any changes to the deposit.

5. Document Condition: Continue to document the condition of the property, including any wear and tear that may be related to the additional pet. Take photographs and keep records of any damage or excessive wear and tear caused by the pets.

6. Legal Consultation: If the tenant does not comply with your requests or continues to violate the lease agreement, you may need to consult with an attorney to explore your legal options, including the possibility of eviction.

7. Negotiation: It may also be worth considering negotiating a resolution with the tenant if they are willing to cooperate, such as paying a lump sum for the months the unauthorized puppy was present or agreeing to abide by the terms of the lease moving forward.

Keep in mind that landlord-tenant laws and regulations can vary by state and locality, so it's essential to consult with a legal professional who specializes in real estate law in Kentucky for specific advice tailored to your situation. Eviction should be considered as a last resort and should be done in compliance with all applicable laws and procedures.

- This answer was written by AI (ChatGPT) and reviewed by the ezLandlordForms team.

Login to post a comment