Start a new topic

Water Bill

My water bill has increased significantly since my new tenants moved in. It has never been that high before even with previous tenants. Can I charge the new Tenants for the increase? What are my options?

Is it shared water?  How can you prove that they used 50% of the water?  What if you used 90% of the water and you are billing them for 50%?  I would just set the rent rate to include a water amount and leave it at that.
I agree with Dawn. Include in rent….Another option is to have another water meter installed, if possible. Check with City Water Dept. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com.
Thankyou for info on waterbill. Good point on 50%or 90%. Will include in rent payment. Scott
Yes you can require that your tenants pay the water bill, however not all municipalities will let you transfer the water to the tenants' name, because it's harder to collect money from tenants. You may have to bill the tenants for it, and then collect the water bill like rent.
If your contract states that tenant is responsible for water bill, you can take the bill out of your name. You can also deduct the amount owed from the sec.dpst. I would call tenant and advise them that you will be taking the water out of your name and they must have the service placed in their name, immediately. Or, if they will be out with in 30 days, you may just keep it in your name and deduct the amount from sec'dpst. ----- Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. Also, since State/Local laws vary, you should check with a Real Estate Attorney. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
I would take this a step further and get the work done to make it have individual meters. It can cost about $8,000 to get the work done but it may be more worth it in the long run. IF you are not planning on keeping this property for the long-term, then you will want to make utilities included in rent. Then you cover the utilities, but make sure that you make limits on the utility bills in the lease so that they are not exceeding what you can afford.
I can't imagine why you cant discontinue once the tenant has vacated. Or ask them to put it in their name prior to move, or to pay you the water bill.
Generally, the landlord is responsible for all the damages and repairs to the property. Though, it varies according to the lease. By reviewing the lease agreement, you will know the legal responsibility of damages. To avoid such trouble in the future, conduct a home inspection quarterly. It will help to reveal all the damages and improve the property condition. To know more, visit, SGP Multifamily: https://www.sgpmultifamily.com/
Thank you!
Basically there is no statute requiring the landlord to provide you the information. But in laws in most places, the term "fair and reasonable" are used often. What this means is that you would have to initiate a court hearing and then bring your case to a judge and then the judge will determine if in fact your landlord is right or wrong. It will also depend alot on what your lease says regarding this issue.
It should really be in your Lease. The Lease that they offer here has a prevision for that problem. You can send a notice; look in the documents section under notices, there is a document just for that. I would send the Notice first, then a Bill.
SEND A COPY
Login to post a comment