Start a new topic


Our tenant is way behind on their rent. they have been promising to pay but have not made any payment for over a month. We found out that he no longer has his job. We gave them a three day eviction notice, can we change the locks after three days if they decide not to leave?

No, the fact that the tenants didn't pick up the letter doesn't affect any eviction efforts on your part. The notice to vacate that you sent isn't an eviction notice anyway; if you want to evict them, you'll have to serve them with a PA eviction notice before filing for the eviction in rent court.
Yes eviction means taking her to court, do so and expect her to be out in 30 days no less. Eviction takes some time. Make sure all of your paper work is on order and file it with the court ASAP along with a notice to the tenant that they are being evicted for failure to pay. After eviction you may need to go after her in small claims court to get the rest of the money. Good Luck
It is very important that you use a Constable to deliver your notices. By using their service you are insured that your tenant has been served the correct notices and they will file with the court for you as well.
Ok, there is no lease and no contract, but even in a private home an eviction notice has to be given?
You should be asking your attorney this question.
In Florida its not that easy. Follow your states statutes. Alot depends on what type of lease you have, yearly or monthly. Most states will stipulate the notice for a non renewal. If its for other reasons like violations, unpaid rent again there are steps you have to take. Once you've followed, to the T, then you can submit for writ of possession. Count on it taking a good amount of time, especially now during the pandemic. Use the exact forms with the legal verbiage available on this site for your state to give notice. And yes, the court system in your county will have the exact steps to follow. Do that or hire a lawyer to do it for you. You don't want to misstep
i did he said go through the court but according to the law i can evict i want to make sure
In agreement with Donald, that would be a feasible and legal solution. Check your state law to see how long they must have left their property on your property without pickup to be able to legally declare it abandoned. Since you may not get much by suing them for storage fee, if the property is abandoned you can sell whatever you can to recoup some of your costs for storage.
Why are you evicting them?
The issue is with accepting partial rent.  Note that if you start an eviction and accept partial rent, then you have to start the eviction process over again.
i did he said go through the court but according to the law i can evict i want to make sure
This seems more of a domestic dispute. I would contact your local authorities (police department) and ask them how this type of situation is handled. If they tell you through the courts, then you want to give them proper notice according to CO law. Then yo can start an eviciton.
You can evict them for refusing to let you into the property if you have given the proper notice. First step issue a notice to quit and set a move out date. Also let them know that you are filing eviction with the court. You will need to submit a service of notice to the court and must give the tenant the proper amount of time in your state and city. Your court house would know the local regulations. Good Luck and don't expect it to go to smoothly unless all of your ducks are in a row and paperwork is in order.
yes they can be evicted - oral aggrement stands up in court ... proceed like normal eviction 3 or 5 day notice , etc. .........
I don't know how to file my eviction with the court to proceed. I sent eviction notices for non payment which were ignored, and they are just squatting there. Thanks in advance. Melanie.
Login to post a comment