Start a new topic

breaches the contract

My tenant breaches the contract by moving out without my consent. What do I have to do?

Alot depends on the lease. Did your prior tenant give you notice? I simply re-rent the apartment to the friend just as you would anyone else, meaning that she would have to pay the security deposit and so forth and so on. If you choose to work something out with your originial tenant and they both agree to "share" the security deposit; I would strongly suggest putting everything in writing in the lease as well as having them both sign something. This way you are covered.
Depending on your Lease and the laws in your state, you can sue your tenant for the balance of the lease. Although it is really hard to collect on these cases. The other is to conduct an inspection and then deduct any damages from the security deposit. In some states and also dpending on what your lease says, you may keep the balance of the security deposit. PLEASE NOTE, however that in most states the landlord is required to furnish in a set amount of time an accounting of the security deposit.
1 HAVE A RENTER THAT WANTS OUT OF THE LEASE AFTER TWO MONTHS, BUT HER FREIND WANTS TO KEEP THE LEASE ON HIS OWN DO WE HAVE TO GIVE HER  HER SHARE OF THE SECURITY DEPOSIT AND THEN MAKE OUT A NEW LEASE FOR HIM.
Login to post a comment