Start a new topic

First payment and deposit

Boy! Did I do something dumb. I live 400 air miles away from my rental. I do have a friend who has been a great help to watch the house. I found a couple to rent and everything checked out fine. The day we handed the keys over, the wife met with my friend at the home.  Her husband was on the way to the bank to deposit first payment and rental deposit. My friend called after she handed the key over. The same evening my friend had to catch a flight on her hawaiian vacation. It worked out good that she was able to make arrangements to hand over keys. The tenents faxed over the 1 year lease argeement and wrote on the bottom." I will be putting money in your account by Thursday at the latest. I'm waiting for my bosses credit card to go through so she can pay me." She recevied the keys on May 2 and I have already called her cell, work leaving messages. Who do I call to get them out? HELP!!!

I'm being told that if you ask for First and Last Month's rent in GA then you don't have to put the deposit into an escrow account.  Is this true and if so how does the First and Last Month's rent work?  If tenant leaves they don't have to pay their last month of rent?  Lost.
There are procedures to follow to evict a tenant for non-payment of rent. Considering that you are out of town, you may want to hire an attorney to assist you with this. This web-site has attorneys who handle landlord tenant matters listed under the Resources tab. Good luck and you may want to get started as soon as possible to get them out as quick as possible.
Login to post a comment