Start a new topic

Landlords trusting tenants word to pay rent.

I had a tenant begging to rent my apartment because of all kinds of reasons. Only because he had a 3 year old baby I agreed to let him move in on the 22 of october with promise to pay his 1 months rent and deposite on november 1 2008. the month came and i got nothing and his giving me the run around saying i can evict him because he has a lease with me. I figured if he never paid me for anything yet i couold evict him and break his contract.

A lease is a contract with terms to follow. Paying rent is one of those rules.
In some states, once an individual establishes residency you have to file an eviction with the court to get them out legally. I would advise you to consult an attorney about this issue. Based upon what you stated I think this person conned you and may know how long it takes to establish residency. Good luck.
I found www.NoPayTenants.com is for reporting deadbeat renters.  All rental property owners need to checkout that website and post their deadbeat renters.  When renters find out their name is on that database they quickly want to pay-up.  Also, it helps other landlords from getting burned and you can check if any renter has a record.
New York State in Allegany County Landlord wanted to evict tenants for non payment of rent when trusted them , let them in with promise of rent and they only paid $150.oo of the deposit ,(which is deposit $400.00 and rent $400.oo). Asked for payment and no answer. Had eviction served tues it was served,3 days to get out, here it is friday night of day to get out and the have the auddasity to get the kids for the day and not leave.  Whats the next step?  This is first time at renting the apartment.
If I am understanding you correctly, you have served them a 3 Day Notice to Pay Rent or Vacate. They are still there. If this is true, then you should be able to go to the court and file for a hearing.
Login to post a comment