Start a new topic

Mold

I have a tenant who takes 45 min showers, a very large dog( who stays inside over 16 hrs) that also lives in the upper apt.  The tenant has showed me different spots that mold has showed up, I told her clean it up and turn on the ceiling fans when she showers and take her dog for longer walks cuz Im sure its peeing all over my apt.   She called code on me , now what happens?

Mold is tricky. I had a very bad experience with a mold situation. I now make sure I do everything I can to remedy it if it comes up. Once the local authorities get involved, you are looking at alot of money! It is relatively easy to take care of with an exhaust fan in the bathroom; cleaning up with part bleach to water. Once the authorities comein, you could be looking at ripping down drywall and replacing, it can turn into a nightmare.
Just a thought...can the landlord sue the tenant for causing the mold in a previously mold-free apartment?
Anyone can sue anyone. The question really is "Do you have a strong enough case to win?" Having proof that the tenant caused mold, can be very difficult, not impossible but difficult. If you have pictures and/or other proof that the tenant DIRECTLY caused the mold, then I would think a case would be stronger. Talking to an attorney about an individual case would enable you to see if you have a strong enough case. Aside from principal, a legal case could end up costing more than you will get back, even if given a judgement. Afterall then you have to collect from your tenant.
It seems unreasonable to me.
Hi Joselyn,   Mold typically grows on the BACK of the drywall.  So by the time you actually have visible mold the time to act has long since passed.  Landlord advocates claim mold requires various conditions to grow, but damn near all of them exist where drywall was wet.  Take the Andy Griffith approach.  Walk her unit (with her permission) with some friends.  Take a sniff test in the home. If it smells musty, there's probably a problem.  Check your records for water leaks, look for stains on the ceiling and water stains in the walls.  Walls that have gone more than 72 hours are often already moldy.    Do NOT paint the inside of the apartment with Kilz or any other primer to cover mold.  Remove the drywall.  Masterchem, the makers of Kilz has told me personally that Kilz does nothing to kill mold.   It's designed to "Kilz" stains.   Remember, wax rings often result in leaking water BETWEEN tiling and subflooring.   So you may not see visible evidence.    There are mold sniffing dogs but they're expensive to rent.    There's a place you can get a home test kit that will identify the type of molds.  It's about $99 and you do the sampling your self.   Many lawyers will tell you not to test because it makes you responsible for any "omissions" however why the heck would you want to leave someone sick if it can be stopped.  Most people that suffer mold problems just want them to go away.   You can find Remediation companies who will test but often they test "positive" to get the work. So you want a 3rd party test.    Another would be using Infrared.  Also any wet surface releases VOC's (Volitile Organic Compounds) that can also combine to create health problems.   
Re: Sueing tenant for previously mold free apartment.    If the leaks were caused by the tenant or you can prove they left water running then yes.  However if the drywall is wet you should be looking for reasons it got wet.  Remember, Bathrooms were once painted with an Oil base paint to act as a mosture barrier.  So that means if the mold is appearing UNDER the paint, there's probbaly a leak that's your own problem.   A small drip from the trap upstairs can create mold growth on the paper side of the draywall.  Secondly you have to prove that the unit was actually mold free.   If you have testing of that unit (air samping and non-viable testing) you could prove the levels before and after.
Keep in mind that the shower length which MAY be long has to be offset by the temperature of the water.  So if she's showing at only a warm temp in the summer there's little condensation.   I managed a property in Hollyood that was found to have cieling fans that went NOWHERE.   Make sure the fans have actual exhaust connected to them.    You may think this is crazy but the fan only circulated the steamy air.  Make sure they exhaust.
It is best to disclose this to the tenants. I believe it is a requirement to disclose past or present mold to renters.
Login to post a comment