Start a new topic

Won judgement; how do I get the money?

Hi all:  I'm new to this forum and thank you all in advance for any feedback, advise or shared experiences.  I won a 3,800.00 judgement from my previous tenants.  I am going to court today to try and start garnishment proceedings.  I do not have council.  Does anyone have any experience as to what to ask in front of the judge to start garnishment.  I live in Indiana.  Thanks for any help!!!!!   Tammy

Makes me angry that scum bags get away with this stuff, never pay, then go elsewhere and start the process all over again, and just keep getting away with it.  Sure they're credit gets destroyed but they just live off the system anyway so they don't care.  Sad the courts can not deal with this better than it does.
We also won our case, He was a conficted felon. So may be in jail by now. Could not find them after court case. So we have not collected  either.  Really do not expect to either. Good luck to you though. Hope you get your money. But I would claim it on taxes and write it off also.  Bobbie B. Ok. Sep. 24, 2009
We also won our case, He was a conficted felon. So may be in jail by now. Could not find them after court case. So we have not collected  either.  Really do not expect to either. Good luck to you though. Hope you get your money. But I would claim it on taxes and write it off also.  Bobbie B. Ok. Sep. 24, 2009
Write the loss off on your taxes. Don't expect to see any money. If the tenant was a looser before court, don't expect a change after court.  Good tenants don't go to court.
A judgement shows up on one's credit report.  In most cases, it's very difficult to obtain new credit with a judgment on your credit report.
If you are unable to collect a judgement yourself you may consider using a judgement recovery service. Typically they will collect or try to collect the judgement, without direct cost to you. IF they recover all or part of the judgement they will keep a portion of the money for there services, often up to 50%. But that's more than $0.00 if you can't collect.
Hi Tammy, I also won a judgement for a little less $1,740. But I have decided not to continue because I don't live in the same city as rented property and each visit to the Courthouse cost money. We have accepted this as a loss and my tax person say's I can write it off next year. #2 reason is it's a negative measure. When tenant presented statements, they showed they had no monies. Personally, as an Owner one has to make a decision whether to accept the loss or pursue to recover and what's the best course of action in each case. If I'd had been living in the same city, perhaps I would have pursued it.. It was detrimental to my health to pursue the issue...Good Luck
There is a very good article located on this web-site: http://www.ezlandlordforms.com/articles/landlords__collect_that_judgment_/
Login to post a comment