Start a new topic

Rent Increase

What is the maximum rent increase allowable in Baltimore, MD.

This article https://rentberry.com/blog/tenant-turnover states that you may increase the rent by the end of the lease. It also contains useful tips on how to raise rent carefully and to keep you current tenants. As you're a new landlord I thought it could be useful information. You need to understand that raising the rent requires a  lot of good business skills, marketing research, public relations with tenants and legal requirements.
It depends what contract you signed with the tenant. If  in contract it is mentioned that this amount will be increased after certain period then you can't increase rent till end of that period but there is no as such clause in the contract and not any to overrule rent increase then you will have to give them advance notice of at least 30 days.
Landlord must give the tenant at least 30 days’ advance notice if the rent increase is 10 percent (or less) of the rent charged at any time during the 12 months before the rent increase takes effect.  A landlord must give 60 days’ advance notice if the rent increase is greater than 10 percent. (Civil Code Section 827b.)  Buildings under rent control in some cities require different regulations. I would look up this information so you can calculate the correct amount of notice and increase. Good Luck
Do you mean partial payments as in paying biweekly or weekly? I would not raise if they are paying the rent and the full amount on time. I also wouldn't raise it if they cannot afford the rent as it is either. I would do a payment arrangement if they are falling behind. SO for instance i have allowed my tenants to pay an extra 50 biweekly or 100 monthly to the rent until they get to the amount in full.
These side deals dont work. You are probably only kidding yourself as to whether they really can afford to stay in the home.   That does not mean you can not be ethical and allow the number of days late your state requires before assessing a late fee, or waiting a day or two to write the memo threatening eviction for non payment.... but when you start down the road of negotiating the rent, your only negotiating with your self and setting your self up for financial losses much greater then the 30 days they are delinquent.
I did a split payment for a tenant, but I made sure that they were aware that if late on both dates they would be charged 2 fees of $25 for both.
Just a notice of increase will suffice.
Depends how much trouble you want over 8 dollar a month 96 dollars a year.  I just wait till the lease is up and increase the rent 25/50 dollars a month to make up for increased costs.                                                                                                                 If you want a bunch of trouble/headaches let her know she owes the 8 dollars for jan/feb and charge her the late fee for both months.  Also serve her with the pay or quit.                                                                                                 Of course once you get to the judge they might not be amused over evicting someone for 8 dollars.
Unless there is a clause in the lease, you can increase rent by any amount you what. It's your property. The only issue you need to be aware of is - If you raise the rent on a tenant that in the "protected classes "ie, race, gender, age, religion, nationality, etc, etc"...THEN...relist the apartment at the original rate that that tenant was paying and not at the new rate, you might find yourself in a lawsuit.
Yes,
Yes. Just be sure to follow landlord tenant requirements in those states. In Florida a landlord can increase the rent with proper notice.
Yes with proper notice in most states I am unsure of yours this can only occur after the first year of occupancy.
Rent Increase Notice: 30 days notice if the rent increase is less than 10 percent of the lowest amount of rent charged during the last 12 months. 60 days notice if the rent increase is more than 10 percent of the lowest amount of rent charged during the last 12 months. (Civ. Code §§ 827(b)(2-3))   Rental Increases When managing properties in California, it is legal to increase rent if you are not in a rent control area, but you must do so according to specific regulations.  Here is how much notice you have to give about rent increases:  30-day notice According to landlord tenant law California, a 30-day notice be must be given to a tenant in the majority of situations where you are increasing rent. 60-day notice If the sum of the rent increase & all prior rent increase during the last year is higher than 10% of the lowest rent during that time, then you must give 60 days of notice. You are permitted to increase rent because of rising market value in the area or simply to increase your profits, but you cannot increase rent because you don’t like the tenant and want them to leave. This is called retaliation, and it is illegal in California.
Login to post a comment