Start a new topic

Rent Increase

What is the maximum rent increase allowable in Baltimore, MD.

Maryland state law has no rent control provisions, although local jurisdictions may have rent control laws.  The statewide Rent Control Law expired in 1975, and similar rent control ordinances have expired in Baltimore City, Montgomery County and Prince George’s County.  Montgomery County does have a Voluntary Rent Guideline Law that is administered by the Office of Landlord Tenant Affairs (OLTA) and requires landlords to report rental increases. OLTA, however, currently has no authority to order rent rollbacks or to prevent landlords from increasing rent above the voluntary guidelines. Baltimore County has a similar Voluntary Rent Control Commission that simply monitors rent increases in excess of the inflation rate.
Maryland state law has no rent control provisions, although local jurisdictions may have rent control laws. The statewide Rent Control Law expired in 1975, and similar rent control ordinances have expired in Baltimore City, Montgomery County and Prince George’s County. Montgomery County does have a Voluntary Rent Guideline Law that is administered by the Office of Landlord Tenant Affairs (OLTA) and requires landlords to report rental increases. OLTA, however, currently has no authority to order rent rollbacks or to prevent landlords from increasing rent above the voluntary guidelines. Baltimore County has a similar Voluntary Rent Control Commission that simply monitors rent increases in excess of the inflation rate.
Donald,  How many months and $$$ behind in rent are tenants
Thanks , I know what to do , I just thought instead of eviction I could ease the problem some what , thanks
Negotiation is always an option for landlord and tenant. But BEWARE, a tenant that is already behind on rent and cannot afford the current rent will probably not be able to afford a higher rent. You would probably be better off evicting the current tenants and then re-renting at a higher rent. If you mean you want to set up monthly payments and build it in to the rental amount, therefore increasing the monthly rent....you can do that by just drafting a letter or a new lease and having the tenant sign it.
Much of this depends on the lease you have. IF your lease specifies the number of occupants that are permitted and your tenant wants to change that, than you will be able to negotiate with the tenant for the amount per month to add an additional tenant. I personally, would make sure and run a credit check on the new tenant and then come up with a reasonable and agreeable increase.
My rent is more than $100 below market. Is there a limit on the amount you can increase rent in city of warren, county of macomb, state of mi. a house was sold across the street and truned into a rental getting $100.00 more per month, the lease is up in nov 2010. thank you for any help !!
In a week-to-week or month-to-month tenancy, the landlord can raise your rent by any amount if he/she gives you seven days notice for a week-to-week lease or 30 days notice for a month-to- month lease. Your landlord cannot raise your rent if you have a fixed-term lease. In other words, if you have a year lease, your landlord cannot raise your rent prior to the expiration of the lease. Illinois does not have a rent control law. Therefore, your landlord can raise your rent as much as he/she deems necessary. However, you should contact your local units of government to see if your city or county has a rent control ordinance.
You can charge whatever rent you want.  There are certain states/cities that have guidelines, but most do not.  If your tenants don't want to pay the rent, they can move out.
Check your local agency. As for rent increase, that usually depends where the property is located. Check newspaper what other units are renting for.  There is no formula. In CA you are limited to10% for a 30 day notice. Over 10% a 60 day notice is required per 12 months. . -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with Fed/State/Local and Tax Laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download. A great program at a great price!
You may even be able to find info on your states website... they often have rental property info.
Raising the price to an amount that is higher than the agreed upon rent would have to be a new contract that both parties need to write up and agree on. Or in the rental lease renewal you can issue a rate increase.
Pamella, I agree with Richard W. unless you talk to your tenants and all agree then you can re-write the contract. Looks like you're trying to help them out. I have rental property and my rental is based on the going rate for the address in question(give or take a little)and because it is an "Investment Income" one wants to cover the required expenses with that rent.
Thanks Richard and Gladys. I think I'm going to have to go the route of asking for a new agreement.  When I initially rented the tenants were a couple and were filed as such with the insurance provider.  The provider asked me for an update on the tenent and I advised them that the couple had taken in 3 people with disabilities and the provider said it now needed to be classed a a rooming house as more than 3 people residing there were not related.  Thus the premium increase. I was also asked to sign a document that said I would not make a claim if any damage was the result of vandalism done by the tenant. I hope they understand my position.  I think what these people are doing is great and would hate if this comes across as a negative.
Login to post a comment