Start a new topic

tenant violated lease because of drugs

police busted in my door because tenants were suspected of doing drugs. police found crack pipe but no drugs to my knowlege. now the police want me to evict them. do i give them 10 days or 30 day notice? and is there a special eviction form i can use? please help.

The law authorizes county courts to order the quick removal of tenants involved in drug-related criminal activity or violence, even when there is no arrest. Prior written notice is not required to remove a tenant. I would go to your local courthouse and ask about these expedited hearings. They will let you know what you need to do.
my house was raided tonight, appears new tenants were running a meth house, is there a way to do a quick eviction in the state of az.  I am afraid the tenants will return to the house, it's unknown if they were arrested at this time.
Diane, contact your local police.
I have a tenant with drug issues. Her and her 10 year old daughter rent a room in my house. She has admitted to using on my property but I don’t have proof . Could I get in trouble if the police find out and I didn’t report it? I am hoping they can stay till the end of the school year for her daughters sake. I have asked her to get help and to not do it on my property many times with no success . She is on disability and has many other issues and I really care about both of them. What should I do and how do I protect myself ?

It's important to address this situation as soon as possible to protect yourself and your property, as well as ensure the safety and well-being of your tenant and her daughter. Here are some steps you can take:

1. Familiarize yourself with the laws in your area regarding drug use on rental properties. In many places, landlords can face legal penalties if they knowingly allow drug use on their property.

2. Consider speaking with an attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant law for guidance on how to proceed.

3. Document any evidence you have of drug use or suspicious behavior, such as drug paraphernalia, unusual behavior or visitors, or strange smells. This documentation can be useful if you need to take legal action.

4. Have a conversation with your tenant about the issue, expressing your concerns and offering resources for help, such as addiction treatment programs or counseling services. You can also set clear boundaries and consequences for drug use on your property.

5. If your tenant refuses to seek help and continues to use drugs on your property, you may need to consider evicting her. This is a complex legal process that typically requires written notice and a court order, so it's important to follow the correct procedures.

6. It's important to prioritize the safety and well-being of your tenant and her daughter. Consider reaching out to local social services or community organizations for assistance with finding safe housing and resources for support.

Remember that addiction is a complex issue and your tenant may need help and support to overcome it. However, it's important to protect yourself and your property, and to follow the laws and regulations in your area.

- This answer was written by AI (ChatGPT) and reviewed by the ezLandlordForms team.

Login to post a comment