Start a new topic

TENANT BELONGINGS

In NH, does the 28 days that a landlord must hold on to a tenant's belongings start with the day the writ of possession was served, or the day the locks were put on because they did not leave when served the writ?  The court and sheriff cannot answer this although they enforce it...

The 28 days are counted from the day the sheriff comes and the locks are changed. TO be on the safe side add one extra day.
I am not 100% on the question you are asking but I would say the safest bet with personal belongings is to hand deliver them to the sheriffs office or the city police. Give the individuals (prior tenants) name and other personal identifying information to the police at handover and then contact the prior tenant in email (or any way possible) to notify them that their belongings are safe and at a police station. I have done this before but only with a small amount of stuff... not furniture obviously. Have you called the local police department to ask what your options are? Depending on the state, if said individual leaves his personal belongings abandoned in the rented unit for so long, you can take over possession and sell or do what needs to be done with it. I would check on an actual time frame for this though.
Thanks for your input. The tenant are still live there, sheriff will remove them, for the stuff, we asked sheriff, we were told we can haul the stuff to the city land fill ( everything, good and trash), I am not sure if this is ok, any has any idea if we can throw them away or hire a trsh hauling company to haul them away, thank for any input.
Thanks for your input. The tenant are still live there, sheriff will remove them, for the stuff, we asked sheriff, we were told we can haul the stuff to the city land fill ( everything, good and trash), I am not sure if this is ok, any has any idea if we can throw them away or hire a trsh hauling company to haul them away, thank for any input.
I have heard in the past, don't recall from where, that you are allowed to remove tenant's belongings to a storage unitl at YOUR cost and YOU pay for the storage fees.  I'm not sure how long you have to pay for the storage - I'm assuming it is 3 mos and afer that the storage co can do what they may.  You must inform the tenant legally as to where their belongings are.  I suggest you contact a lawyer to be sure before you remove anything. Good Luck.
Login to post a comment