Start a new topic

late rent

What is the normal charge per day for late rent. Please if any one can help with this thank u I am new to this. / Have a renter that has been late every month for the past 9 months and want to start charging late fees thanks for your input Debbie

These tenents are late every month.  My husband allowed them to pay part of their rent until they were able to find full employment.  The tenants took advantage of the low rent and stayed behind owing $7,000 dollars without my knowledge.  My husband recently passed away and now I need to collect this past due rent.  Yet, they continue to stay behind in their rent , do not pay a late charge and with the bad economy I need to make the house payment.  What should I do?   Patty  Ca.  Jan 4, 2011
I would tell them that they have to sign a new lease and there  will be an increase in rent including  a late fee.  You can either put a judgement against them and/or evict them if they do not want to sign a new lease.  At the same time I would start lookong for another tenant.  $7,000 will be hard to collect but at least a judgement against them will be in place.
I was wondering if it is necessary for me to also send certified mail since I live at the same house as the tenant I am trying to get rid of?
Yep! When the Notice time expires. This should help you. http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/catenant.pdf  -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download with data.
Yes that is stated pretty clearly if it is written as you posted. Do not let the tenant have more than those days to properly instill the professional business side of renting your property.
Late is late!  As a Landlord you HAVE to issue a 5-Notice to Quit as soon as your grace period is up, THEN on the 6th day you may file for eviction.  Even if the tenant has promised to pay at a later date, you still must issue the Notice to Quit.   This protects you in the long run of eviction court because the Judge may deduct any month from the arrearage due that a Notice is not issued.  You may not enter, change locks, withhold mail, discontinue utilities, etc until you have a judgment & then the Judge will usually give them a number of days to vacate.  If you issue the notice every time it re-enforces that you've followed not only the law, but your own policies as well so it's a no-brainer for the Judge.  Please note that any time I issue the notice, it's by hand-delivery, regular mail AND certified mail and I add these costs to my judgement amount.  Remember, it's a business.  
Georgia does not have a law for grace periods, it is up to the landlord.   I always state in my leases that rent is due on or before the first.  I do have a section about late fees with days very similar to how you have said yours is set up, mainly for my good tenants that are rarely late.  Under that I have “There is no grace period for late rent, eviction proceedings may occur.”  I go over this with each new tenant and usually have good results.
No you can't do the following: - Turn off utilities - Steal the tenant's mail - Enter whenever you want - Throw the tenant's belongings to the curb  If the tenant doesn't pay rent, issue a "pay or quit" notice and if they don't do either, then evict.
I rent twelve units, and every time a tenant falls behind there is always a story, I have done weekly payment plans for monthly tenants to try and recoup late rent but it usually leads to eviction either way. It's best to be the hard ass and just play it by the book, otherwise you end up putting more energy into collection with the same basic results and more frustration.
Thanks for all the  imput. Sherrill L.
Sherrill, I would certainly send a late notice. You need to document her non-payment. If the rent is not paid, and you have sent notice, you may want to consider moving forward with an eviction.
If my tenant has paid half of the rent for Jan 1 2013 and now its Jan25 2013 late fees  have been appllied now and the tenant still has not paid and the rent is due again  Feb 1 2013  This is my first  time as a landlord so  I need so advice on what kind of actions  can I take   at this point her lease is up in July 2013. She making all kinds of excuses why she do not have the money. In the lease agreement  states late fees will apply after the 5th day of 25.00 dollars and ten dollar a day there after. Please give me  soon reasonable advice  on what to do next. I am new at this. I live in Houston Texas. Thank you Sherrill Levy renee.carter2211@yahoo.com
When it is time to renew I usually send a letter with an outline of check boxes like: Is tenant current on payments? check. Has tenant complied with the lease? check. Is tenant eligible for renewal? check. I also have a spot for rent increase amount. Then I let the tenant sign the renewal yes or no. For you - you can say: tenant current on payments? no. Tenant eligible for renewal? no. Then do a little blurb why you will not be extending for lease. take your amount owed out of the security deposit and hope he leaves willingly and does not leave the place a mess!
Login to post a comment