Start a new topic

late rent

What is the normal charge per day for late rent. Please if any one can help with this thank u I am new to this. / Have a renter that has been late every month for the past 9 months and want to start charging late fees thanks for your input Debbie

Typically in a lease, late fees are explicitly stated.  Some start at $25 after 5 days (or whatever your state law allows) and some as high as $75.    Others start with a flat fee and add more per day, here is one such example:  "If rent is received more than three (3) days after the due date, the Tenant will pay an initial late charge of  $25.00.  Each additional day the rent remains unpaid after the 5th day, a $ 5.00 charge will be incurred"
You could do a couple of things, tell him you are not renewing his lease and take him to court for what he owes or go to a month to month lease and when he is done paying you  give him a notice or take him to court and garnish his wages, How is he going to find a new place if he has a hard time paying you. first last security? You could also tell him get out by a certain time and you will forget what he owes. I wouldn't but you could.
I have the same problem. I think you have to give them 14 days to pay or move. If they pay, then you can't evict. If they don't pay you need to give them a 30 day notice to move.
The late fee question should be addressed in your lease. If it is not, and you have a written Rental Agreement, you can serve a 30-day notice to change the terms of your rental agreement, and state the new Late Fee parameters.  Please be aware that if rent is not paid by the due date, no matter whether you have a grace period or not, then the tenant is in breach of the contract. You can serve a 3-day notice to pay rent or quit, wait the required time period in your state, then proceed to evict the tenant. Check with your local Apartment Owners Assoc. for the specifics for your state. K from CA
I have a renter that is behind on rent and is paying me a little extra each week, his lease is up and I don't want to renew it.  How do I approach this situation?
Washington had a proposed law a couple of years back that would limit late fees to $50 or 10% of the rent (whichever greater).  I am not sure if it passed or not, but it seems to be a safe guideline.  Don't forget to check with RCW 59.18 for details on how to give notice, etc
I plan to issue her a 3 day notice tomorrow, if it is not paid by today.  She is not starting off on the right foot, and I mean business.  I need to set the tone so hopefully there will not be further issues. I have a couple other questions... If she does pay rent within the 3 day pay or quit, how do I bill the late payment fee?  Invoice? And what happens if she does not pay the late fee? Is that taken out of the security deposit at the end of term?  Lastly, if she doesn't pay within 3 days, is my next step hiring a Unlawful Detainer Assistant to start the eviction process?  Thank you for your very information message.  I can not thank you enough for your time in guiding me with your answers.  I am learning so much as I scour the web and talk with so many experienced people.  Although I pay it forward in other areas of my life, one day I hope to pay it forward in this genre also.
Yes…send end her the 3 Day Pay or Quit Notice followed by eviction. If she has the $$$$, only take Cask or Bank Check. On the 3 Day Notice, make sure you DO NOT include late fees. Rent Due only. The late fee can be taken out of the Sec.Dpst or judgement if it goes to Small Claims…..Consider using an agency to deliver Notice. It appears more professional and I believe it also shows you mean business. My contract states that if a Notice must be served, tenant is responsible for cost and $50 Admin (that’s me) fee. Servicing Notice will cost approx $100. Well worth my time and I don’t have to deal with tenant directly. If she is willing to pay in full, have her deliver it to you. No sense in you having to drive to the property……Congrats on taking action immediately.  -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Unfortunately, it is impossible to give comprehensive real estate/tax advice over the internet, no matter how well researched or written. Therefore, it is up to you to become familiar with Fed/State/Local Tax Laws. Also, if you have real questions, you should consult with an attorney or tax professional……Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download with data. Check out the new $$$$ for 2012
She should pay the full amount to include late payment. However, there is nothing wrong with collecting late fee payments over several months due to the amount. You could also charge reasonable interest. And, put it in writing. The Notice can only ask for rent w/o late fee. However, late fee should be mentioned to tenant either email or phone call. The non paid late fee is a breach of contract. So, you could send another 3 Day Notice to rectify breach. Next step – Small Claims. Keep us updated. It may help others here. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Unfortunately, it is impossible to give comprehensive real estate/tax advice over the internet, no matter how well researched or written. Therefore, it is up to you to become familiar with Fed/State/Local Tax Laws. Also, if you have real questions, you should consult with an attorney or tax professional……Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download with data. Check out the new $$$$ for 2013
It happend to me and let me tell you , nip it early, cause it seldom gets better after 2 months its known people have a hard time paying you back.
You can evict them if this is in fact a requirement in the lease. BUT let me ask you this? Do they pay a late charge? How late are they? In times when it is hard to find a tenant, I would weight the benefits to the downfalls of evicting someone who is just late on their rent. Now.....if there are other problems....that would be a different thing. Additionally, cases involving non-payment of rent are fairly cut and dry, but cases for breach of lease, can be mmore complicated and require legal assistance.
If it's only 2 months I would just go with the late fees.  You can always deduct late fees from the security deposit but it's best to get them up front.
I would start the eviction process. In Indiana, the landlord must first inform the tenant of his intent to evict him. This should be done by a written notice delivered to the tenant, containing the following information: -The name of the tenant -The address of the property -The date rent was due, or the violation occurred -The date the landlord intends to begin eviction proceedings This gives the tenant an opportunity to pay the back rent or fix the violation. If the tenant does not do so, the landlord may then proceed to the next step, filing a complaint with the small claims court. A copy of the complaint will be served to the tenant, and will state the date of the court hearing which will decide the case. It is essential to the tenant that he appear at this hearing, because if he does not, the court will automatically evict him. In Indiana, there are two hearings; the first determines whether the tenant should be evicted, and the second will determine what the tenant owes the landlord. After the first hearing, if the tenant was ordered to leave, the sheriff will have authority to forcibly remove the tenant within 42 hours. The landlord will have to arrange this with the Sheriff. After a tenant has been removed, he must appear at a second hearing to determine how much he owes the landlord
I am now having the same issue with my tenant, the initial due date was the 1st of each month then I gave them an extention since they said they get paid on the 8th of each month I was like okay you due date can be the 10th. They paid on time the first 3mths of their lease and now they have been late every other month. The tenant calls me and wants to know if she can change her due date to 23rd of the month. They have two months left on the lease should I just let them pay the next two months with late fees or just file the eviction documents? GA
Login to post a comment