Start a new topic

Tenant is Just STUPID?

This is my first rental and I am quickly learning different tricks of this trade.  One thing my husband and I did to help get our property rented right away was to include a washer and dryer in the unit.   It seems my tenant isn't smart enough to keep the lint trap cleaned out.  As far as I have ever known,  it is really hard on a dryer if you dont clean out the lint trap.   I am not a rich landlord and once my tenants ruin this dryer because they are abusing it, I have no intention of wanting to replace it.   I have a month to month rental agreement in the state of Iowa.    The dryer is not yet broken,  so what do I need to do to protect myself since the lease they signed does state that I provide the washer and dryer?  My understanding is that the lease "renews" each month, as a month to month agreement.   In the past when I have made changes, such as having them take care of their own lawn care, I have just given written notice 30 days before requiring them to take on such tasks.

It is important to be SPECIFIC in your leases. I ALWAYS note on a lease when a product is new and that a tenant is responsible to keep it in good working order. The ezlandlordforms lease also has language regarding negligence. i have a re-glazed tub and I had a tenant use abrasive cleanser after I specified in the lease not to. That tenant PAID for a new re-glazing of my tub.
I will go back and read what the lease specificlly says (maybe  I should learn to do that first)    I did get my lease through this website.. so hopefully there is some favorable wording on my part.      I have been a pretty dang nice landlord to these people.  It seems like they are always looking for a button to push. .. or maybe its the fact that im 37 weeks pregnant and getting pretty hormonal! lol  thanks for the responses!
SOUNDS LIKE THE TENANTS I HAD WHO COULDN'T GET THROUGH THEIR HEADS THAT YOU CAN'T FLUSH CIGARETTE BUTTS IN A SEPTIC SYSTEM.BUT THAT WAS THE LEAST OF THE PROBLEMS I HAD WITH THEM.BTW IN DELAWARE A MONTH TO MONTH LEASE REQUIRES A 60DAY EVICTION NOTICE THAT GOES INTO EFFECT THE 1ST OF THE MONTH AFTER ITS SERVED.THEN 60+ DAYS LATER YOU GO BACK TO COURT AND THEN ITS UP TO THE SHERIFF WHEN THEY GET OUT. IT MEANS THE TENANTS DON'T HAVE TO LEAVE TIL THEY'RE GOOD AND READY.
In some cases if the dryer was there when these people moved in then you have to provide them with one,
Login to post a comment