Start a new topic

renting to relatives

sister lives with me in private home and pays 475 p/m for herself and her son.  he recently turned 18 and thinks its ok to bring his girlfriend to his room.  sister thinks that if i have other people that live here paying rent then her rent should be reduced based on the other persons share.  told her that her rent is what was agreed upon not based on if other rooms are rented then she should be reduced comparably

ALWAYS PREPARE FOR THE WORST AND HOPE FOR THE BEST. INCASE YOU EVER NEED TO EVICT ANY TENANT WHO OCCUPIES YOUR REAL PROPERTY YOU WILL NEED THE COMPLETE LEGAL NAME OF ALL ADULTS LIVING IN THE PROPERTY WHETHER THEIR NAME IS ON THE LEASE OR NOT. SSN BANK ACCT NUMBERS PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT ETC ARE NECESSARY IF YOU WANT TO COLLECT ON A JUDGEMENT TO TRY TO RECOVER FINANCIALLY.WE NEVER RENT TO FAMILY OR EVEN FRIENDS OF FAMILY BECAUSE OF THE HUMAN PROBLEM OF TAKING ADVANTAGE AND SAYING THEY DONT HAVE THE MONEY THIS MONTH, OR CAN THEY HAVE A FREE MONTH FOR CHRISTMAS  .  ETC. GOOD LUCK BUT GET THE INFO UPFRONT. VALERIE MASEULI
All in all you need to protect yourself. I understand it is family, but to make sure things dont get mixed up, I would keep things as specific as possible and do all you can to keep yourself safe in this sitaution. Also, will the boyfriend be paying rent? If he is - I would get a credit check on him. Its all personal preference. You need to keep yourself safe in the end.
Login to post a comment