Start a new topic

REGULATING FOOD?

Hello,   Can I ask tennants not to leave food laying around "inside" of rental home? They had bisquits laying on the counter/stove and some food in one of the bedrooms.   I have a rodent problem in the attic at the moment, not sure if mouse or squirrel, and having food laying out cannot help. This is an older home on blocks and thus harder to protect against rodents.   Thanks

ABSOLUTELY , FIRST iWOULD ASK THEM NICELY AND JUST DOCUMENT IT DOWN SOMEWHERE AND TAKE NOTICE , IF IT HAPPENDS AGAIN GIVE THEM A WRITTEN WARNING , IF IT HAPPENDS AGAIN TERMINATE THERE LEASE IF THEY HAVE ONE , RODENTS CAN CHEW ELECTRICAL WIRE , CAUSE FIRES AND DEFFECATE IN YOUR HOUSE LEAVING IT UNHEALTHY
Ralph....haven't we all had food on our counters or in bedrooms, especially if you have kids or someone that's ill? Have a talk with tenants explaining the problem and ask for their co-operation until the problem is resolved. Also let them know what you're doing to rectify the situation. Unless they have rotten or spoiled food pile high in the house, I don't believe that you can do anything about the situation. However, you have a responsibility to remove rodents using traps, etc. or hire someone to take care of your problem. Keep us posted. Thanks.
Hello and thanks for the input, Stan M. this is why I wanted to inquire before saying anything about the food as I did not want to seem dictating in such a manner. I know I have the right to say something if it were outdoors and/or a trash problem.  Anyhow, I said nothing about the food and just set some traps out. I found a hole under the vinyl eave where there are two seperate roof lines. So beleive it to be a squirrel for sure, as no rats in rat traps.  However, the good news is I don't think it chose to live in the attic as they have heard no noises lately and I have found no signs of a nest. There also are not that many droppings compared to internet pics as I have researched.  Irrespective, I set a squirrel trap that she would have to enter/exit by the hole created in eave.  Thanks, Ralph
Login to post a comment