Start a new topic

Discontinue Propane Fuel Delivery

We group purchase Propane Fuel for our tenants and provide bills directly to them for payment (back to us, not the vendor).  Our leases include that payments are due in 10 days or they are on their own for fuel arrangements.   One of our tenants is two months behind in rent and fuel.  She is single mom with 5 kids. Can we legally notify her that fuel arrangements are her responsibility now due to the lease violation?  We are in Pennsylvania.

Are these 2 different tenants....fuel payment and rent payment....or the same tenant?
Same tenant.  She owes 2 months rent and also Fuel Payments. I've given her 2 notifications.  1.  30 day Notice to quit (based on 3 lease violations besides the no rent payments)  2.  Notice to evict based on NO rent payment for DEC & Jan and late Fees going back to Oct & Nov.   This one is a real pain !
Since you gave her Notice to move, I'm not sure why you asked about "Can we legally notify her that fuel arrangements are her responsibility now due to the lease violation?".
Because of the kids I was not sure even though she is in violation that I can discontinue having the vendor supply her with fuel.
Tim, even if she was to obtain her own supplier, would she be able to qualify. This is a judgment call. If she'll be out soon, consider leaving things as is for the kids. They are victims, too. I know it's not fair, but life isn't fair. Remember, you made the decision to take her on as a tenant. Sometimes we as LL make the wrong decision. Learn from this experience and consider re-thinking your qualifying process for the next tenant. Look at the bright side....you'll be able to deduct the cost of fuel and claim less income on your taxes. Keep in touch.
Login to post a comment