Start a new topic

New Ownership of Rental Property

My father signed over his rental property to me a little over a year ago due to retirement and health. The tenants have lived there for approx. 17 years. There was no lease agreement in place just verbal between them and my father. Now that I am the owner I would like to put a lease agreement in place due to some issues that have surfaced (unapproved pets and occupants).  The tenants are aware of the change in ownership and why but are not happy with it because I have made it clear that I was not my father. My father also still receives the rent money (as part of his retirement) from them. I have prepared a lease agreement and would like to present it to them. If they refuse to sign, what are my rights?

If there is no lease than the following information is needed to terminate a tenancy. ¿ 42-14.¿ Notice to quit in certain tenancies.  A tenancy from year to year may be terminated by a notice to quit given one month or more before the end of the current year of the tenancy; a tenancy from month to month by a like notice of seven days; a tenancy from week to week, of two days. Provided, however, where the tenancy involves only the rental of a space for a manufactured home as defined in G.S. 143-143.9(6), a notice to quit must be given at least 60 days before the end of the current rental period, regardless of the term of the tenancy. (1868-9, c. 156, s. 9; Code, s. 1750; 1891, c. 227; Rev., s. 1984; C.S., s. 2354; 1985, c. 541; 2005-291, s. 1.) Therefore if your tenants are paying month to month, you can terminate their tenancy with notice as described above. Then send them the new lease and let them know that if they want to stay, they need to sign new lease.
I have a property that I purchased with a Tenant in place.  The terms of the lease will remain the same until July 2018.  After that a rent increase will be imposed.  What do I need to let the Tenants know that I will be their new landlords and will honor their current lease but will increase after their lease is over or do I just do that when I go forward with a lease renewal.
When a mobile home park is sold and it is under new ownership how long legally does the new owner have to give all of the tenants  to vacate the premises in Asheville, NC?
Login to post a comment