Start a new topic

need advice about tenant negligence

My rental property recently had an electrical problem.  A circuit breaker was overloaded and I think I'm going to have to replace the breaker.  I believe that the issue was caused by the tenant having too many electronics/appliances plugged in and running at the same time.  Tenant waited several days, possibly more than a week, to tell me that something was wrong.  I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to convey to the tenant that she caused the problem and also how to politely explain that if it happens again I'm going to charge her for the repair.  Any advice?  Need help...  Thanks,  Heather

You should not have to replace the breaker  if it is only tripped, all you do is reset it, If the breaker needs to be replaced then you have a defective breaker.
Thanks for the information, Donald.  I actually already reset the breaker and the GFCI button.  None of that has worked.  But, this problem was actually caused by the tenant because she was running an electric lawnmower and a hair dryer on the same circuit at the same time.  At this point, I think she completely fried the breaker and it needs to be replaced.  I feel the tenant is negligent.
a breaker usually will trip before it fries , you might have a faulty breaker, tell the tenant no more of this and get a new breaker.
Thanks again for the advice, Donald.
Login to post a comment