Start a new topic

allowing dogs

Is it acceptable to allow dogs in one half of a duplex and not the other?  I've heard different things one being that if allow one half to have pets I legally have to let the other.

What's the most affordable way to get rid of the bug problems ?
Ive done a little reading and I don't know if this applies to California my tenant moved in at the beginning of this month and now is asking to have a dog i read that if I have them give a "pet deposit", let's just say of $500, that I am only able to use up to $500 for any pet damage and that I can't take additional money from the standard deposit for pet damage? so, it's better to charge a "pet rent" and leave her initial deposit open to any damage--including pet damage?   ¿
I charge a non refundable pet deposit and an additional charge per month for the pet to be on premises. when I rented I was charged both. and after replacing carpets in both rentals. it helps to soften the cost of replacing carpets. I only allow dogs not cats. cats can actually do more damage.
If you are going to change your policy of allowing pets on all future tenants, then no you are ok to not allow pets with one tenant grandfathered in prior to the change in your policy and once they move there will be no pets allowed in any unit. You will be safe under these circumstances. Just be careful you apply the no pet rule consistently in the future and you'll be within the law.
I love dogs myself, but not all renters are ready for the responsibility of dog ownership. Might I add children have done more destruction & wear on my properties than any animal. I charge a minimum $300 per dog, must meet the dog prior to agreeing it can be on my property, all animals must be spayed/neutered, licensed, & all vaccinations current. All neighbors of my properties have met me, have my contact info & when a new Tenant is approved, I make the rounds again. This assures them & me that I will know the moment a situation occurs. I drive my properties weekly & at different times of the day (mornings to evenings) to be sure lawns are being kept up, notice new cars, see unauthorized pets, etc. If I stop by & I'm not invited to step in, the flags are raised. Sometimes I stop in just because rent has been on time, in full, no repair calls, etc., so I want to say thank you & make sure they don't need anything. Tenants left to their own device in some cases causes bad behavior. In 30 years, I've only had to get one person out that I leased to. He left without having to involve the court system. Communication is key & the professional forms of EzLandlord says volumes.
Also, insurance companies are now denying coverage for certain breeds that you may allow. Only 3 of my properties have carpet as I'm not a fan of it. That $300 non-refundable pet fee pays for steam cleaning the non-carpet floors, walls & vents or the carpet to be cleaned on BOTH sides. I always put down new pad, have my carpet cleaner clean both sides and re-install it. He also uses a cleanser approved for all carpets that will not void a carpet warranty. If there are any damages, it comes out of the deposit. Please note that I understand that pets can do a lot of damage and can be a renovation nightmare in time and money. I have a friend that a Great Dane & Rottweiler did $7000.00 worth of damage to a house by making their own door out of the utility room to the yard. They were unauthorized pets with an absent Landlord.
Tell them to get rid of the dog - we have just had to spend $3000 re-carpeting a rental (the carpet was only 2 years old) because they had a "visiting" dog. Together with the other damages (holes in doors from door stops etc) we are well and truly out of pocket. Be tough or be prepared to pay up later
I would share my experience, my previous tenant had two dogs and two cats, On the policy we have a clause that allows the tenant to have any pets lesser than 15 pounds. My experience out of this tenant was a nightmare, I had to spend around 6500 to bring the condo back to a good condition.  1. The Pet Urine Odor and spots was so strong that i couldn't remove with bleach or vinegar. Had to sand and re coat all the hardwood flooring  2. The Bath room had to be completely re done. The Pet urine went all the way under the Vinyl and tiles and the hardwood floor, Had to remove the floor about 3 foot by 3 foot and re place with new hardwood until the stud.  3. The pet hair was every where (even inside the freezers), had to involve professional cleaners to clean all the appliances.  4. The vents were all covered with pet hair, had to get the professions to clean all the vents.  5. The corner's of the cabinets in the kitchen and the Bathroom had lot of bite marks (assume the are bite marks since looked like something was chewing on them) had to replace the cabinet on the bathroom and the kitchen (only the corner frame). 6. Had to repaint the entire house to take the smell away from the walls  The tenant was not ready to pay a single dollar more than the security deposit. The security deposit barely covered  1/4 of the expenses. My experience has been bad, but i learnt a costly lesson, so my lease is getting modified with additional security deposit (for each pet) or not to include any pets altogether.
Ive done a little reading and I don't know if this applies to California my tenant moved in at the beginning of this month and now is asking to have a dog i read that if I have them give a "pet deposit", let's just say of $500, that I am only able to use up to $500 for any pet damage and that I can't take additional money from the standard deposit for pet damage? so, it's better to charge a "pet rent" and leave her initial deposit open to any damage--including pet damage?   ¿
FYI! The last new kitten I got would run and jump on the toilet every time it was flushed. She loved to watch the water swirl around. I decided to see if I could teach her to use the human toilet. I went on line and found a company by the name of "Litter Kwitter". They sell a kit with DVD instructions. Their system really works. It takes a few weeks, but totally worth the effort. When we moved in 2011, I just set the system up in the new bathroom for a couple of weeks. Best thing I ever did. Sophie is now 6 years old. I have not bought litter for her in YEARS! We smile every time we hear her in the bathroom! I wonder if we could make that part of the "Pet Addendum". We have also had every cat we owned declawed and spayed. Once those two issues are dealt with, cats are awesome pets! I know that declawing is controversial. Here is how I look at that. I am giving that creature a wonderful home. Her life with me (full time in the house) is so pampered and loving, it is worth the trade off of loosing her claws. I have the right to protect my home and other assets from destruction. She runs and plays and jumps anywhere she wants to. Critics be damned!
The tenent had 2 small dogs and just moved out.  After the carpets were cleaned there was an overwhelming odor.  A new tenent is set to move in soon...any advice?  Wendy B, WA on Tuesday, February 15, 2011
If you are going to change your policy of allowing pets on all future tenants, then no you are ok to not allow pets with one tenant grandfathered in prior to the change in your policy and once they move there will be no pets allowed in any unit. You will be safe under these circumstances. Just be careful you apply the no pet rule consistently in the future and you'll be within the law.
I am thinking about charging  2 months security deposit instead of the ususal1 month, plus adding maybe $50 a month to the rent per pet.
Does a landlord in Michigan have to allow a tenant who initially signed a lease agreement stating "no pets" to get a dog because it is an "emotional support animal (dog)"? Is there a difference between a service and emotional support animal? If I do have to allow the dog then can I charge a non-refundable pet fee plus increase their monthly rent charge?
Emotional Support Animals are NOT protected by the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) therefore it's your judgement. Service animals are professionally trained and licensed and pretty much limited for use in assisting the blind whereas an "Emotional Support Animal" is not.
Login to post a comment