Start a new topic

How often is too often to inspect the house?

I told my tenant that I would want to inspect the house monthly at first but now she is calling it harrassment.  I have proof that she has given a key to a convicted felon and even told me he was living there although she has retracted that.  So is every month too often in light of our concerns?  House is in Oregon.

As a landlord, you do have the right to enter the unit  at reasonable times. But you must give a 24 hour verbal or written notice before entering, unless there is a very good reason for not giving  notice, such as an emergency or where the landlord and tenant have agreed the landlord entrance without notice. The landlord may give the notice to the tenant or, if it says  in the written rental agreement, the landlord can mail the notice and securely fasten a copy of the notice to tenants door. (The date on the postmark of the mailed notice is the date that you are officially "served.")   The landlord must also give you notice before entering the yard of a single-family residence, or any other space rented to one tenant. (The landlord is allowed to come on the property to put a notice on the door.)   A repair person hired by the landlord may also enter, but the landlord must first give tenant a 24-hour written notice which tells tenant the names of the workers and the work that is to be done.   The landlord and tenant may agree in writing that if the property is for sale, the landlord may enter at reasonable times, without giving notice, to show the premises to prospective buyers. Both the landlord and tenant must sign the agreement.  With all of this being said, a landlord must be very careful not to obstruct the "peaceful enjoyment" of the tenant as to call in possible harrasment.  
I understand about my need to provide notice and I have done this in all cases.  The question is in regards to whether or not a monthly inspection visit is too often and obstructs the peaceful enjoyment.  I was clear during the course of the application process to specify that I would require such frequent visits, and it was agreed to, however it is not specified as such in the verbiage of the lease.  It would seem to me that a tenant could object about a yearly visit as harrasment, if they wished, as easily as they could a monthly one.  ???
I understand about my need to provide notice and I have done this in all cases.  The question is in regards to whether or not a monthly inspection visit is too often and obstructs the peaceful enjoyment.  I was clear during the course of the application process to specify that I would require such frequent visits, and it was agreed to, however it is not specified as such in the verbiage of the lease.  It would seem to me that a tenant could object about a yearly visit as harrasment, if they wished, as easily as they could a monthly one.  ???
I think this completely depends on the property, the specific tenant, and how much you trust both. If you have an old house, and a tenant who is not trustworthy, I would say inspect it every month. On the other hand, I have properties which I haven't stepped foot into in some time.  Jared Gruber JG Real Estate http://jg-realestate.com
I have included the Month to Month Inspections of Properties on the Lease Agreements. By doing this they sign and agree to it. I also point it out so they know what they signed and agreed to. Hope this Helps.
If it was clear during the application process, then she accepted this montly inspection. If she thinks she is being harrased, have her get advice from an attorney, he will say the same thing. Also, Monthly is not harrassement (maybe daily or weekly). She is defensively protecting something and attempting to control an uncontrollable circumstance.
Login to post a comment