Start a new topic

Noise and neighborhood meeting

I will be attending a neighborhood meeting that will be specifically focused on our tenants that have had excessive noise complaints from neighbors and service calls from police dept. Some of the neighbors are concerned with occupants not living there and are requesting personal info such as first last names and vehicle information. What info may I give if any regarding our tenants. I don't agree with the behavior obviously, however I believe that tenants still have a reasonable right to their privacy. Any ideas?

I don't believe the neighbors should be given any information about your tenants other than maybe their first names. The neighbors are free to visit tenants if they want information. Find out what time the disturbances occur and check w/the police dept for quiet time. Also, find out how many from the police what they found when they arrive at the property. Suggest that the neighbors call you when there is a problem. This way you can see for yourself. I'm assuming that your lease has something about tenants disturbing neighbors, etc. Let tenants know that if they continue (providing it’s true), you will have to evict them if the disturbance continues. ------ Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with this EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Thank you so much! I have done all of the things you have mentioned, when i contacted police they provided me with a list of all the disturbance calls, 9 total in two years of residency. Unfortunately the tenants never answer the door, they turn down the music, or stop the disturbance and the police can not kick down the door or insist that they open the door, therefore the authorities can not assign a citation or fine. This is the " leg" that the tenants are standing on. I have sent excessive noise disturbance notices and spoke individually with tenants who claim they know nothing and have never spoken to an officer.  I'm just trying to please the neighbors and make sure that I am working with them to improve the problem that is a direct reflection of my tenancy choices. They were good tenants at one time, guess they just don't care. I have given them a verbal notice at a sit down coffee shop meeting to cease the noise, they then in turn had the parents ( they are uc students) call and scream at me that I can not threaten them! I stated it was not a threat and I have a zero tolerance for the noise disturbances. It is in the contract that they signed.  I agree that I should not give any info but the first names.  Thanks again!
Don’t be taken back by the parents. You could force them out. This may take up to 2 months, but they appear to be a problem that no landlord should have to deal with. Here’s something to consider. Contact a Lawyer the handles evictions and discuss your situation to find out if you can evict them based on your lease. Assuming you can, the Lawyer’s office will serve tenants papers to move (approx $95).  If tenants don’t move, the next step is for the lawyer to file for an eviction (approx $1000-$1200). Once the eviction Notice has been ordered by the court, the Sheriff will move tenants and their stuff out to the street. In situations like this, it’s best to let others handle everything to make sure everything is done right and you don’t lend up back to zero. You probably can get a judgement to recover your costs.------ Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with this EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
I have evicted before, month to month tenants, however these tenants are in a lease that is up within 30 days. I was thinking i would just go the last days in little pain and be done with them. I got some really good ideas for " next time" from you. Thank you.  I remember the lengthy amount of time the eviction process was. Not to mention the mess! Sooooo in saying so, I'm just hoping I have been doing all I can do to protect myself, tenants, owners, and still hold a good relationship with neighbors, since I will need to lease the home again.....?
Login to post a comment