Start a new topic

Tentant Broke Glass Shower Door, who pays for replacement?

Our tenant broke the glass shower door, which she readily admits.  But she is asking if they have to pay for it or if we are going to pay for the replacement.  I assume since it was fine when they moved in, that it's their responsibility to pay for the replacement.  Is this right?  Any advice on how to go about it?  (i.e. Let them manage and pay for it on their own or we have the repair done and then bill them for it.)

I normally have the glass replaced to make sure it’s the right kind and bill tenants, unless your contract states you’re responsible. Some vendor’s will not replace it without obtaining owner’s OK. Just make sure you replace it with an equal value taking into consideration labor/cost increase since last install. Put something in writing stating that tenants agree that they are responsible, that glass will be replaced with a like kind and that they will reimburse you for the cost upon receipt of the bill. Get an estimate and include cost in the letter. Make sure tenants sign/date letter. . -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download with data.
Yes they would be responsible.
@Dawn: That a very presumptuous statement since there is no evidence that there is a contract or language in the contract addressing damages. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download with data.
Actually, Dawn is right. I just reviewed our lease agreement (Provided by EZ Landlord Forms.com) and there is my answer! "If any required repair is caused by the negligence of the Tenant and/or Tenant's guests, the Tenant will be fully responsible for the cost of the repair and/or replacement that may be needed." Thanks for the feedback.
@Erin: Dawn may be correct in her statement, but I still considered it presumptuous to make such a blanket statement without either knowing if a contract was in place or what it contained if there was one. On the other hand, if Dawn knew that you used EZ-Forms, she should have mentioned that to make it clear to others that may be reading this post. ….Your question did not indicate if you had a contract. Also, your question/response suggests that you don’t understand the terms of the contract, given that you had to ask who’s responsible even tho you now state that the contract covers damages. . -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download with data.
You are correct, I made the assumption that the contract would be a typical contract that includes a clause that the tenant would be responsible for damage caused by themselves or their guests.  There are landlords out there who do not have contracts to such an effect.
Login to post a comment