Start a new topic

Tenant has Grease Fire

Hello my tenants had a Grease Fire which caught the out side of the microwave on fire. Tenant has said she will replace the micowave and amazingly there was no damage to the cabinets. My question is she is not going to replace teh microwave right away which is ok with me but should I get someone to go in and take down the burnt one wasn't sure if leagally there was something I was suppsoed to do. Wasn't sure if there was a health risk leaving a burnt Applicance in the property. It is unplugged though. My property is in COLORADO.

I would recommend taking out the old microwave and the tenant will put a new one in.  If they don't before the end of the lease term, then take the cost of a replacement out of the security deposit.
I prefer purchasing my own appliances. You never know what a tenant will replace it with. Consider the following – write a letter stating that she was responsible for the fire which caused damage to the microwave and that she agrees that it will be replaced with a like-kind. She further agrees to reimburse you for its replacement, to include but not limited to, cost of having it replaced by a qualified individual.  Include in the letter a payment plan (start/end date). Make sure she dates and signs. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with Fed/State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download with data.
Login to post a comment