Start a new topic

what do you do when a tenant continues to have a dog stay in her apartment when she knows no pets are allowed

I have a tenant in one of my apartments and per our lease no animals are allowed. She has been having her boyfriends dog over almost everyday and has him sleep over just as much. I have asked her 6+ times to stop and she has blatanly ignored our requests. Other then send her another warning or start process of eviction is there anything I can do now physically to have the dog removed from the apartment such as call the police?

If she is violating the lease you will need to evict.  If you are on month to month with her, check your state laws -- some states allow a notice to quit without "cure" meaning that you are just telling them to leave.  If they don't leave in the period of time specified (here is it 14 days) then you would have to evict.  If you have asked 6+ times and she's not listened, she's not going to listen in the future.  You can tell her that since she doesn't want to follow the rules, you'll have to find someone that will.
If you have hired a property management firm than you could take the issue to them and let them handle it on their own. Else, you don't have any other option left than evicting them from the property. I had faced such an issue in my apartment in Killeen, TX but my property manager at Lone Star Realty took care of everything.
I had a tenant take care of ex- wife's dog - a few days later when I observed, I gave him a ten day notice - his lease was coming up soon anyways - the only thing I will jump o faster is smoking - next day 10 day - rules are rules.
I had a tenant take care of ex- wife's dog - a few days later when I observed, I gave him a ten day notice - his lease was coming up soon anyways - the only thing I will jump o faster is smoking - next day 10 day - rules are rules.
You need to decide if you want to continue with the tenant or put them out and re-rent.  I did not remove a tenant under a no pets clause when she ended up with a cat.  I had been living in another city (close by) for a year while just stopping by now and again.  She snuck the animal by me.   Wall to wall carpeting had to be replaced from claw damage and cat urine.  Never again.  In my state all that is needed is to send a notice to vacate.  We don't even need a reason.  If they refuse, then you prepare for war and an eviction.  I will never again tolerate any pets and do not need a tenant that is non compliant but you have to know what you want because you can't be half hearted about it.  If you can tolerate the threat of a possible lengthy process that could be expensive it is the way to go.    On the boyfriend thing, I have a clause in my lease that if anyone stays there for two weeks, they are living there.  Without going into what the ramifications of that are, the fact is, the dog goes or a vacate notice is sent.  You should really have given her a violation notice immediately.  She's the one you're renting to and is now walking all over you.  As landlords, we don't need it.  Think about why you don't want the dog there... When this stuff happens, pull the trigger.  An old Latin phrase states; If you want peace, prepare for war.  (Just got rid of a tenant from hell and I'm still fuming.  Does it show?)
Login to post a comment