Start a new topic

tips on collecting after a judgment against the tenant

We're new to being landlords and would appreciate any help/advice we can get.  We rented a house to an unmarried couple on a 1-yr lease. She draws a disability check but he works. Four months into the lease, they disappeared on us. We were notified by the electric company that they had the utilities shut off because they moved. We've tried to contact them by phone and facebook but they ignore us in all attempts. We're taking them to court for lost rent and damages done to the house, luckily we accidentally found the house they moved to so the sheriff can serve the papers.  I have 2 questions: If we hadn't found their new home, how would we pursue for the damages? Is there information that we should've gathered at the lease signing that would've made it possible to find them in this case? Also, we expect him to either quit his job or disappear again if he's made to pay what he owes us, so is there any way to collect from her? I know you can't garnish a disability check, so what do landlords do when they rent to someone on Soc. Sec. and need to collect? BTW, we live in Missouri

Thomas, 1.) Always collect tenant's SSN that way, they can't hide As you know, it is very hard to collect on judgments however, you must have one if you ever intend to collect. If the tenants ever try to purchase a home, they will have to pay the judgment before they will be able to purchase.  There are certain other circumstances where a tenant would be required to pay off judgments, i.e. to obtain certain government clearances, etc.  You can hire a collection agency that specializes in collecting for landlords- they sometimes have success in collecting on judgments and they aren't paid unless they collect. Good luck to you.
I always make sure I have contact information of someone who doesn't live in the rent space. I call it "Emergency Contact Information," and tell them I use it in case something happens to them and an emergency contact is needed. In addition, I always collect employer information. I do this via the application and utilize it for screening purposes, verifying employment. This gives you two places of contact in case if they skip town. Doesn't always work but is always a safe way to go. Also, by reporting the issue to a credit/collection agency it will go on there rental history and credit history. Anyone who they try to rent from in the future, would then see the pending judgement and would probably not rent to them.
Even if you take them to court and win, or turn them over to collection, ruin their credit, etc., there is no guarantee you will ever get paid.  You can't squeeze blood out of a rock.   Depending on the amount they owe, you may get the court to assign garnishment of wages according to a payment schedule...good luck.
Login to post a comment