Start a new topic

Taxes:  Writing off Expenses for managing Rental Property

I had to fly a very long distance to manage a move-out and getting a new tenant.  I also ended up having to get some renovations done on my condo.  I had to stay in town for about five weeks due to issues with my former tenant and finding a new tenant.  My condo is in a resort town.  Will I be able to write off all of the five weeks of lodging and 50% of my meals for the entire time I was there?  I was only there because of the condo.  I lived in HI at the time, so it was not convenient for me to leave and come back.  I also had my 8 year old daughter with me since my husband is in the military and was deployed at the time, so i had no choice but to take her with me.  Can I write off her airline ticket as well?  It was huge.    Thanks to anyone who can help me.

If you have a good accountant they will be able to tell you how much you can actually write off with out raising any red flags. If you choose what you write off properly and have receipts for things you needed to do while away it will help if there is an audit or any type of inquiry. I hope this helps and always talk to your accountant.
Thank you for your reply.  I do not use an accountant.  I do my own taxes. I have receipts for everything, but my concern is that the length of stay may cause a red flag, but it was necessary for me to get everything done.
Login to post a comment