Start a new topic

30 day notice

My tenant gave a 30 day notice Jan. 5 and the rent is paid through Jan. 31. Does his tenancy end Jan 31 or Feb. 4? He's not paid any rent for Feb.

That's what it's for. If they argue, tell them "See you in court."
30 day notice only applies to vacating a unit, not to unpaid rent issues. Issue a five day notice to "Remit or Vacate". The forms are on this site.
yes, I took her text as her notice from Nov 27th, however she is claiming that her noticed was from November 20th when she wrote the letter which I still have not received.  basically its a 7 day difference.
A text is actually a form of written notification. I don't agree with Adrien's note; if she already text you informing you of the intent to vacate, why would you want her to re-mail a written note when she has texted you this information on 11/27? This will simply create a problem. As a Landlord, I personally prefer electronic notifications (e.g., email and text) over mailing notifications for that specific reason- things can get lost in the mail and you also avoid the argument as to whether the note was actually mailed or not. Email and text works great; if the tenant does not hear back from the Landlord within 24 hours, she will reach out again to ensure you received her note as opposed to a week later since mailing something takes days. Since she didn't notify you of this until 11/27, I think you should inform her that the 30 day notice clock started ticking on 11/27, but I wouldn't ask her to re-mail a note since that is simply not practical (as she is informing you via text of her intent to vacate the property).  I hope you find this helpful!
Let her know she never received it which means it is not valid. The tracking number is not valid! Keep her informed and let her know that new notice will need to be sent.
Remove the one tenant, then create a new agreement with the other three.
Yes if they are on a month to month you can give a 30 day notice. If they are one a year lease you cannot break the lease unless it is a mutual termination of tenancy.
The lease has a specified term that ends at the end of a month. Failure to pay the amount specified in the lease, without agreement from the landlord, is a violation of the lease.  Active military is the exception is probably every State.  If they are not active military they are responsible for the full amount of the lease as written unless granted a release by the landlord.
We have actually been able to do this as tenants. We are a military family so we can't always decide to move on the 1st. We have never had issues paying prorated on the day the days we live there. If proper notice is given, it shouldn't be an issue. 30 day notice is a 30 day notice, not a month notice. We are landlords as well & this is how we do it. It only fair to charge the amount of days they are actually on the property.
Check the lease.  The tenant should not be able to dictate a prorated departure rent.  The rent should be for a month whether they are there or not after the lease begins.  The landlord can and usually prorates the initial month if the tenant moves in after the 1st of the month.  But I have never heard of a tenant moving out in the middle of the month and being allowed to pay only half of the rent.    Now it may be to your advantage if you can get the property ready for move in prior to the beginning of the next month, but only if you start advertising and showing it now.
Do you have a written agreement?
Quick question, is the 30 day notice to quit the same as the 30 day notice to vacate?
From my understanding it is 30 days from when the tenant receives the notice.
Their lease is over you should return the security deposit and taking them to court will prove that they did nothing wrong so move on as they did.
If all is well, why are you taking them to court?
Login to post a comment