Start a new topic

allowing dogs

Is it acceptable to allow dogs in one half of a duplex and not the other?  I've heard different things one being that if allow one half to have pets I legally have to let the other.

Yep, tried the vinegar - and some mamby-pamby bio stuff in two houses I acquired. Didn't work.  One, a garage I washed with Clorox  and used a concrete epoxy paint.  Worked great.   My current rental has all laminate floors - bomb proof, and apparently scent-proof after 7 years  of tenants with dogs.
Any ideas on how to deal with a tenant that has a pet that becomes aggressive, to the point that the tenant puts a note on the door warning people about an aggressive dog?
In my lease agreement - I charge a non-refundable pet deposit per pet, and the max allowed is 2 pets per unit. The pet can not weigh more than 20 pounds.  And Landlord must approve of the pet.  Tenant must get permission if they want to get a pet during their rental time.  I write in lease the description of pet/pet name.  Also that landlord has the right to ask tenant to have pet removed if the pet causes disturbance to other tenants or neighbors. And last I state that any damage caused by pet where the pet deposit does not cover and security deposit does not cover tenant is financially responsible for damages /repair.  I charge a non-refundable pet deposit of $450.00 to also detract people who have pets.  I don't like having pets but when times are tuff in the rental market the apartment gets rented because I offer pets allowed.  After reading other messages, I plan to adding to lease, that pets must have proof of shots and neutered. Make sure you get everything in writing so if you have to bring your issues to court you have that protection because tenant agreed by signing the lease.  Hope this helps
Has anyone run into a situation with a tenant that requires an emotional support animal? (ESA)  We don't allow animals in our duplex because of the shared walls and yard.  We have a tenant that now says they need this animal.  From what I can find, I am unable to require more rent or more of a deposit.  This dog wont stop barking and is bothering the other tenant!  What can I do?
My research came up with the following Federal ruling:  The medical profession has determined a theapy/support dog can be very therapeutic for someone with emotional or mental disability.  If a tenant meets this criteria and I would assume you could require some proof of this, if would be unlawful to deny to rent to them or allow the service dog. I'm sure you could find more on this subject under Federal Housing Authorities or Federal Disabilities Act. The one thing you don't want to do is be on the wrong side of those laws.  Hope the dog isn't old and you have carpet too.
Our tenant just moved out (with an approved dog) and we discovered about 5 bright yellow dog urine stains on the beige carpet.  Even after a professional carpet cleaning the bright stains remain.  Do other landlords keep the full amount required to re-carpet the unit (downstairs) or do you keep a fraction?  Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated.
Hello, I know this thread is over eight years old but there's is common misconception running through the entire subject;  The only criteria that would legally be considered "discrimination" are Race, Religion, Country of Origin, Gender, Age, Physical (not emotional) disability and Pregnancy." - That's it, that's all, nothing else.   While you can be threatened, no one can seek legal action against you for issues regarding pet ownership and your property and what you decide to allow/not allow in one unit has no bearing as to what you can allow in others.   Good Luck
I'm fairly new to the landlord industry. After reviewing the comments I can see the variety of concerns and outcomes. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'd impose upon the tenant a pet policy that strictly enforces responsible actions;  1. Quarterly inspections of the property which must require all carpeted surfaces to be professionally cleaned prior to. Proof of receipt must be provided.  2. Any wear and tear would be noted at that time (photo history of each inspection). Any conclusive evidence that the pet(s) are the source then enforce the repair(s) and the tenant becomes responsible to pay the invoice.   3. Pet must be licensed and meet required medical records with proof provided annually or semi-annually.  4. Additional monthly charge as a pet allowance beyond normal occupancy.  5. Any illicit discharges (poop) are required to be removed from property immediately as a pollutant to stormwater run-off.  6. Any violation of these actions shall have a penalty fee imposed similar to a late fee for rent. (suggested).  Now maybe some of you do this or I'm just a newbie. Either you allow a pet or you do with guidelines. These are just my examples if I were to do it.
On the other hand, if they have a mental illness they may not be considered able to enter a contract either so you might have an out unless there will be someone that has POA involved.
My research came up with the following Federal ruling:  The medical profession has determined a theapy/support dog can be very therapeutic for someone with emotional or mental disability.  If a tenant meets this criteria and I would assume you could require some proof of this, if would be unlawful to deny to rent to them or allow the service dog. I'm sure you could find more on this subject under Federal Housing Authorities or Federal Disabilities Act. The one thing you don't want to do is be on the wrong side of those laws.  Hope the dog isn't old and you have carpet too.
James & Wendy this advice may be too late for this time but something to file away for future use.  Many years ago we bought a home that the owner kept a german shepard locked in a room all day.  Needless to say the carpets were ruined and the urine soaked all the way through the carpet pad.   We ripped out the carpet and pad and went all the way down to sub floor but the smell remained.  I called the local humane society for some advice.  We washed the floor with a mixture of 50% water/50% vinegar.  Apparently the vinegar cuts the uric acid.    One treatment did the trick.
Simply cleaning carpets, etc. does NOT remove the FLEAS.  Only ONCE have I allowed the tenants to add a pet.  Luckily, few have wanted one anyway.  If I sense one might be brought on the property, not only will the rent go up more, but a PET AGREEMENT must be signed along with a non-refundable up-front fee.  Cats love to rip carpet, curtains, and mark walls and furniture.  Hamsters & other small critters can smell up a place, too, probably damaging paint.  Dogs are great to tear up screen doors, scratch wood doors, and can ruin furniture.  Cats & dogs will pee or "mark" spots, usually walls, carpeted floors, and furniture.  Agreements to KEEP THEM OUTSIDE doesn't keep them outside, either.  And fleas can migrate.  The only dog I allowed was loved by her sons the first year, but ignored the rest of its life -- except for feeding.  A lonely dog indeed,,,,
I now have infestation of fleas and roaches from previous tenants. New tenants planned on moving in this week since last tenants just left Sunday. How much do you generally charge for dog deposit?
Login to post a comment