Start a new topic

allowing dogs

Is it acceptable to allow dogs in one half of a duplex and not the other?  I've heard different things one being that if allow one half to have pets I legally have to let the other.

Nancy S - security deposit is used to cover all damages and in some cases the damage cost exceeds the amount of the security deposit.  You must give the tenant a list of how the security deposit was spent and you have x amount of days to get the list to them. I think Rhode Island is 30days. I live in Rhode Island and we only give back what was not used in fixing the damages plus they also get the interest the deposit earned wile siting in bank account.
If the dog won't stop barking treat it as a noise problem.
Don't call it a non-refundable pet deposit.  Call it a pet fee.
Dogs are not "protected" in NJ, (no discrimination) but I would check your state laws.
Caution on additional deposit depending on your state - here in NJ 1.5 times rent is max. We charge "additional rent" of $25 per month, per pet.
I am seeing lots of cracks in the current 18" square ceramic tiles currently in a condo that we have. I suspect that the sub-flooring had not been properly prepared prior to tile instillation and that's why it is cracking. I had planned on replacing the tile floors with laminate wood flooring, but I didn't know how it would hold up in the long-range with tenants, pets, slobs, water, scratching.... has it really remained pet-odor proof? Thanks, Chery
I have had fairly good luck with laminates. Their are some out now for slightly more that are sealed on there unfinished ends and offer a moisture warranty, I would go for one of those.
The ceramic floor tiles are cracking smack dab in the middle of the tiles. My dad worked as a floor layer in his lifetime, so I have better than an average person's knowledge about flooring and carpeting. With 18' ceramic tiles that are cracking they way they are it's most likely that it was a DIY tile job and the sub flooring wasn't prepared properly, ie. sanding and leveling. I was interested in the laminate as a flooring option because it was recommend-ed in several real estate investment seminars as the best flooring to put in rental units. Thanks.
Laminate wood flooring has seams and water will find its way thru the seam. Is it the tile that's cracking or grout? If its grout, you might consider having it redone and sealed. It may be a lot cheaper.
My lease says no dogs.  My tenant however decided to get a dog stating that it was just visiting.  The dog appears to be long terms.  What is advise about telling tenant that dogs are not allowed.  If I agree to modify the lease should I want to charge a deposit for for the dog additionally add the amount of the rent by $25.  
Tenant lived in my house 2 yrs while agency managed & on 3rd year I took back over Mgmt & discover they have a dog (lease prohibits dogs).  While hvac man installed new system he reported  Dog to me - I confronted tenant and tenant begged keep the ONE Dog so I drew up new lease allowed ONE dog only very clearly stated  After tenant moved out I discovered they actually had three Dogs which required additional cleaning & painting to remove dog hairs and smells Also discovered last water bill was not paid so water company will hold me  Responsible to pay bill & that there were more people living in the house than was suppose  Be per lease agreement.... my question is does the discovery after tenant moves out Cause a breach of lease and allow me keep deposit to pay for bills & repairs & painting??
I don’t understand why you would tell them that having a dog is a violation and than you want to change your position. Sign of weakness. Not good. Send them a  3 Day Perform or Quit Notice. Hopefully, you have a fine listed in your Agreement.
Login to post a comment