Start a new topic

New Unauthorized Pet

I have a good tenant who is authorized for his small dog, which is in his contract prior to moving in; however he let it slip on July 4th when he dropped off the rent that he has a cat. They claim that they "sort of adopted" a stray cat in the neighborhood. He has taken it to the vet when another dog on the block got out and attacked it. They feed and care for it. I told them they are only authorized for one pet but they tell me it's a stay. I have not done anything about it but now they have given me notice. They implied that they are going to leave it behind and I already have new tenants lined up. How do I deal with an abandoned pet and security deposit?

So much for a being a good tenant. Are tenants on a month-to-month or a lease?
Well the tenants actually took in another animal without letting you know so in AZ they would be in breech of contract. I would read through your rights as a landlord in your landlord act for your state and see what you can do. Or if you dont want to make a big deal out of this then take the cat to animal control in your area and let them know its a stray. I def don't know everything but I hope this helps a little.
If they leave the cat behind, report them to law enforcement for abandonment.
Login to post a comment