Start a new topic

eviction

Our tenant is way behind on their rent. they have been promising to pay but have not made any payment for over a month. We found out that he no longer has his job. We gave them a three day eviction notice, can we change the locks after three days if they decide not to leave?

Do you have 3 separate leases, or is everyone on one lease?
three separate agreements
You still need to give them notice and evict properly.
I would check with your local court house on that one. Each state is different.
Is the tenant renting one of your properties or living in your home? You have several questions. Let’s do 1 at a time. Which one would you like answered 1st. Also, more info would help.
Are you on a long term lease or month-to-month? Is the dog a violation of your lease? I'm assuming yes. If so, you need to contact the landlord and explain your situation and see if something can be worked out. If not and you want to stay, you'll have to find the dog a new home. Don't get mad at the Landlord. YOU violated the agreement. Maybe you should have talked with Landlord before taking in the dog. Again, I'm assuming the dog is a lease violation. To answer your question about eviction, in CA it could happen in 3 Days. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
1 day. Send a Notice to Pay or Quit. Next, start the eviction process if they don't pay or vacate. For more info, visit http://www.ezlandlordforms.com/articles/arkansas_landlord_tenant_law_and_regulations/ . . -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
If a tenant is given a non-renewal, then the lease is not renewed and they must vacate. If they do not vacate, then you would need to more forward with eviction. If the home is still rented by someone else and they are given possesion of items, its not really a concern of yours, esp if the lease is renewed and rent is paid.
Clarification:  You, husband and daughter own home. Boyfriend moved in with daughter and signed a lease agreement. Now someone (who?) does not want to renew lease with boyfriend. Are you also stating that boyfriend is willing to move when lease terminates only if he can give “all belongings” to your daughter? Do you know why?
Yes, husband, daughter and mom own the home.  boyfriend moves in and signs a month to month lease with my husband and myself.  Daughter just lives in the home with boyfriend. Husband and I have already told boyfriend we are not renewing his lease.  He has moved tons of stuff into the home.  Daughter is mostly on his side of the fence.  our biggest reason for not renewing boyfriend lease is so he has to get all his stuff out of the home...second that he has not paid the october rent.  Our fear is that boyfriend 'gives' all his stuff to daughter just to 'spite us' so he doesn't have to move it out!    Since house is 1/3 hers, she can take his side and keep the stuff in the house for the boyfriend.  I'm guessing boyfriend is not going to leave peacefully on Nov 30. Also, do you know if when lease is up on Nov 30, can we enter the premises on Dec 1 even if he has not vacated? Thanks for your input!
Jessica, thanks for your input.  see my above reply.  Mom and dad have the lease with the boyfriend.  Daughter lives with the boyfriend in the home.  boyfriend has tons of his stuff all over the house and garage.  boyfriends lease has not been renewed for Dec.   Our fear is that boyfriend 'gives' all his stuff to daughter just to spite us so he doesn't have to move it out.  Will bet boyfriend does not vacate peacefully on Nov 30.  
Can I enter the home when lease ends even if tenant did not vacate?  
The bad news is that she is part owner. These are my thoughts on your situation……Your agreement with her about the home pertains to the home only. In other words, you have say in improvements to the home. However, you have no control how she runs her life and that includes who she has at her home or how long invites can stay. That includes what items are stored at the home, as long it doesn’t violate any laws….. I would say that you have no right entering the home since that’s your daughter’s residence and you were not invited. I’m not sure how much weight the lease has other that stating he was agreeing to pay rent. When the lease terminates, your daughter has the right to allow him to stay as a guest…. This is an example of why parents should not have children listed on Title as owners. If I was in your shoes, I would try to get your daughter to Quit Claim her ownership to you (I’m assuming she’s not on the mortgage loan). Be creative in your reason why this needs to be done. This places the property back in your control and given the current situation, she could be given notice to move or evicted. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance
yes, she is part owner.  how do I go about 'Quit Claim"?  I think I can get her to do that, as long as the bf doesn't know what's going on.  She's already looking for another home and it's likely that she'll need a downpayment to make a purchase.  If we get her to Quit Claim, we can tell her we'd give her her portion of the downpayment on the current home for her to use on her next purchase.  She is on the mortgage too.  How does that effect things?
I read up on the quitclaim.  how long does this take?  It sounds like you go to an attorney, everyone signs and that's it.  Can it be that simple?  
Login to post a comment